Sunday, November 6, 2016

View of Marshes from Bluff

Went hiking today, and I actually remembered my sketchbook today.  Just quick things.  Unfortunately the tie dyed ghost bled through a bit into this one.  Anyways this is a view of the marshes looking toward Onalaska from the top of the bluff.  This area has some diverse ecosystems, we have the marshes, forested areas, and some prairie.  I guess I see more wildlife in the marshes, things like cranes and frogs, than I do on the bluffs.  Although both areas I guess can have the timberline rattlesnake.  One thing that many do not seem to know about Wisconsin, or at least my part of WI is that we do have rattlesnakes.  Although admittedly I have yet to come across one, but I do also tend to stick to well traversed trails.  On my mother's side rattlesnakes were a source of income.  My great grandfather (grandma's side), my grandfather, and many other male relatives used to clear out infestations for people.  Back then WI also offered a bounty on rattlesnakes.  My great grandfather used to raise them in a barrel in their basement, and then collect the bounty.  According to the family stories and some of what my Mom witnessed they did it bare handed.  They did not use those stick lasso things (don't know what their called) you see people use on TV.   With all of that being said I would like to dispell the notion that you can just go around a timberline rattlesnake.  I have been on group hikes where they talk about doing this.  Bad idea.  The thing about timberline rattlesnakes is that they are not solitary creatures, if there is one there is more.  If you try to go around you may find yourself in a snake minefield.  The safest thing is to go back the way you came.  At least that is what my family lore says. 

Oh and the Viper part of my name does not come from my family history.  One of my print instructors dubbed me that because he said I have "viper eyes"especially when I am being demanding.  I guess he would know, he grew up on a zoo (his Dad was a zoo keeper).

No comments:

Post a Comment